[arch-general] Question about automated builder

Thomas S Hatch thatch45 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 14:48:45 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Kaiting Chen <kaitocracy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > We have been discussing this in the TU chat, and there is a lot of
> > excitement about it, I am going to post some degign docs on the wiki here
> > in
> > a few days (give me some time to put it together :) ) and then we can
> have
> > free for all on how we want this to work.
> >

> Hey dude like I've said before I think this is a great idea. Personally I
> would like to see it implemented as a web application where a source can
> perform an authenticated multipart HTTP Post to upload the package, at
> which
> point the service will build the package and return an HTTP 201 status with
> the URL of the newly built package in the Location header. Of course this
> is
> just my opinion and you're free to go about it any way you like.
>
> I'll be happy to offer up the kiwilight server if ioni doesn't let you have
> alderaan. --Kaiting.
>
> --
> Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/

Awesome, I actually have a few servers I will use, and since it will be
distributed, we will be able to use a lot of servers as builders all
reporting to a single master.

As for the web end, I was thinking of having the web frontend just act as a
notification area about the queue and the builds, so people could check on
build stats and download experimental pkgs etc. Then the queue would be
managed via the scms.

Of course, it will be pluggable, so we can make a web "scm" interface as
well if we want!