[arch-general] Frequency of abs updates, would increasing frequency cost much?

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Mon Jan 31 04:45:41 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 10:18 +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 31.01.2011 07:27, schrieb Ng Oon-Ee:
> > This is more a general question, I understand abs is updated every 24
> > hours. Would more regular updates (say, every 1 hour or so) be better?
>
> A bit off-topic: You don't have to use ABS if you don't need a complete
> tree.
>
> For a single package:
>
> svn co svn://svn.archlinux.org/packages/$pkgname/trunk
> or
> svn co svn://svn.archlinux.org/packages/$pkgname/repos/testing-i686
> or similar. Replace 'packages' with 'community' for community and
> multilib packages.
> This gives direct access to the subversion tree, so it is instant on
> updates. However, if people start trying to checkout the complete tree,
> we will shut it down, as subversion is incredibly inefficient.
>
> You can also pull the git tree (see [1]), which is updated every two
> hours, if you need the complete tree.
>
> [1] https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/

Indeed this is the easy way out, when there was the svn webui you could
download a tar. When i want to rebuild a package I always grabbed it
from the website.

Providing a whole abs tree updated every hour seems a bit too much
overhead if you ask me. If you want the latest pkgbuild of foo just
checkout the web ui or svn.

I can't imagine a user waiting for a updated package of foo when there
is a new version out and he wants to rebuild. (He just does that
himself)

To rest my case, i think the current situation is good enough.

--
Jelle van der Waa