[arch-general] netcfg: complete documentation available?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Jul 5 11:34:55 EDT 2011

Am 05.07.2011 16:45, schrieb XeCycle:
> Hello, I am now trying netcfg for managing network connections, however
> I encountered some problems, and I didn't find the solution in the
> manual or the ArchWiki.  So I wonder whether a complete documentation is
> available.

Heh, that is a weak point of netcfg. Documentation is between incomplete
and non-existent.

> The two problems I encountered are:
>
> 1. Ad-Hoc wireless lost ESSID.
>
> I used this (working) script to connect:
>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> NET_ESSID="ssid"
>> NET_KEY="passwd"
>> NET_GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"
>> NET_MYIP="192.168.0.3"
>> iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
>> ifconfig wlan0 up
>> iwconfig wlan0 essid $NET_ESSID key "s:$NET_KEY" channel auto
>> ifconfig wlan0 $NET_MYIP
>> route add default gw $NET_GATEWAY
>
> I tried to do the same with netcfg.  Here is the profile:
>
>> CONNECTION='wireless'
>> DESCRIPTION='Wi-Fi at home'
>> PRE_UP="ip link set wlan0 down; iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc"
>> INTERFACE='wlan0'
>> SECURITY='wep'
>> ESSID='ssid'
>> KEY='s:passwd'
>> IP='static'
>> ADDR='192.168.0.2' # Please ignore this difference, I'm sure it's unused
>> GATEWAY='192.168.0.1'
>> DNS=('8.8.8.8')
>> # Uncomment this if your ssid is hidden
>> #HIDDEN=yes

netcfg uses wpa_supplicant for the configuration of the wireless
connection. Remove your PRE_UP and try ADHOC=1 as an option
(undocumented, I think, probably also untested).

> However, I cannot connect it.  I've configured my conky to monitor
> network connections, from what it showed, the ESSID is associated first,
> then lost after a few seconds.
>
> 2. PPPOE won't start by itself.
>
> Here's the simple profile:
>
> CONNECTION='ppp'
> INTERFACE='eth0'
> PEER='provider'
> PPP_TIMEOUT=10
>
> When I run `sudo netcfg ppp`, it just got stuck there.  Then I opened
> another terminal, and ping some IP, then it got connected.
>
> Thank you.  These two problems have been bothering me for a week.

No idea, must have something to do with pppd options (maybe netcfg sets
'demand').

This should be improved to provide a 'pppoe' connection anyway.