[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Fwd: Move kdelibs3 to [community]

Calvin Morrison mutantturkey at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 13:05:10 EDT 2011

On 18 July 2011 12:57, Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
Hey Guys,

I am a developer and member of the Trinity Desktop team. I wanted to
clear up a few points here about what the differences between old kde
and trinity are as far as you are concerned. Kde3 and Trinity are NOT the same.
At this point our sources and contributors have changed completely.

One of our goals is to pull all of the disparate Qt3 patches to create
a central, up-to-date Qt3 repository that can then be extended as
necessary, and we are ready to provide upstream support for qt3.
Even with our patches and addons, our qt3 is fully compatible with any
qt3 programs, no API breakage whatsoever. I think it would be a great id

Link to webgit of qt3:
http://git.trinitydesktop.org/viewgit/index.php?a=tree&p=Trinity%20Desktop%20Environment&hb=HEAD&f=main/dependencies/qt3

Kdelibs3 on the other hand won't be so simple. There have been
significant changes in the API, because we have written a abstraction
layer for the Qt3 code to work with "TQt". The TQt interface
will allow us to continue using the trinity desktop with newer versions
of Qt. We currently are underway porting it to Qt4 too keep up to
date. However for arch that means it is likely that some
programs would not compile unless patched against the tqtinterface.
Therefore I must recommend you do not use our kdelibs3, because we are
currently unstable until the next release (due sometime in the fall)

What I think would be best for everyone, is that once we release our
next version, arch should look into switching to the Trinity Desktop
provided kdelibs3, kdebase, kde* packages. They are more up to date
and stable. I think the fact you are having trouble building old kde3
shows that it might be time to start considering other options. As far as
Qt3 goes, we are completely ready and happy to provide upstream support
for all distros, especially my favorite Arch. :)

On behalf of the Trinity Project,
Calvin Morrison