[arch-general] virtualbox additions package naming

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Jul 19 11:15:59 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 05:03:05PM +0200, Vic Demuzere wrote:
> On 19 July 2011 16:18, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> > I think that the guest/host terminology is rather well established, so
> > maybe
> >
> > virtualbox-host-additions
> > virtualbox-guest-additions
> > virtualbox-guest-modules
> >

> I don't like this. It sounds as if the first package has additions for
> the host, but it's just an iso containing additions for the guest. It
> doesn't make sense to name it this way.
>
> What about
>
> virtualbox-additions
> virtualbox-arch-additions
> virtualbox-arch-modules

I see your point, but I don't like your suggestion since there is no
indication *where* it makes sense to install the packages.  It's worth
making it crystal clear that guest additions and guest modules only
make sense in a guest, and that it's pointless to install the ISO
packages in one.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with
millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural
integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.
     -- Alan Kay