[arch-general] quiet kernel parameter

cantabile cantabile.desu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 13:33:36 EDT 2011

On 07/28/2011 08:13 PM, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Meyithi<mail at meyithi.com>  wrote:
>> On 28 July 2011 16:55, Tom Gundersen<teg at jklm.no>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jason,

>>> They should be identical. Just look at the code:
>>> <
>>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=blob;f=init/main.c;h=d7211faed2adfb295caf46bbb9c70835f622eabe;hb=HEAD#l201
>>> The quiet parameter just sets loglevel=4. Unless I'm missing
>>> something.

>>> This is very odd. Any more info on this? Screenshots? Can you see a
>>> difference in dmesg?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

>> Apologies for the format of this post, was supposed to be a draft until I
>> gathered a bit more info, but I accidentally sent the first message and was
>> hastened.
>>
>> Anyway, there is a few things I'm looking into, firstly I'm using
>> kernel26-ck with syslinux, and I also have intel_agp and i915 in
>> mkinitcpio.conf for an earlier framebuffer.  Using quiet seems to switch (or
>> attempt to switch) to framebuffer earlier, my entire screen will go grey,
>> then switch to black with a white box in the top left which looks to be
>> 640x480 and then the boot messages will overwrite the white box and the
>> system will commence to boot.  Using loglevel=4, this does not occur.  So
>> there must be some difference somewhere, and although it's just initial
>> framebuffer corruption it's fired up my curiosity.
>>
>> I've got a lot to try in order to pin this down, was just hoping somebody
>> knew of any differences between quiet and loglevel=4 to save the fiddling.
>
> ah nice, i asked about this *exact* same thing back in May:
>
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2011-May/020186.html
>
> ... unfortunately no one had an answer, and most said it wasn't
> happening to them, but you seem to have narrowed it down more maybe
> ... it happened on nvidia/ati/intel cards for me -- every single one
> of my systems in fact.
>
> i ended up just making a small mkinitcpio hook that ran first and
> cleared the buffer ... still a super brief period of corruption, but
> looked much better.  the issue i had is identical to what you've
> described; interested to see what you find out.

I have this as well.
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
GME965/GLE960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

Also with i915 and intel_agp in the ramdisk (for the same reason), also
using 'quiet'.

I won't reboot though, so no idea if 'loglevel=4' is different.

This is not a new issue. I've seen it with the previous two or three
kernels as well (2.6.37 - 2.6.39). I wasn't using 'quiet' before that,
and had no such white box on the screen.

Stock arch kernel, by the way, x86_64.
--
cantabile

"Jayne is a girl's name." -- River