[arch-general] Lyx 1.6 vs. 2.0

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sun Jun 5 10:25:21 EDT 2011

It would appear that on May 31, Bernardo Barros did say:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a reason not to update Lyx 1.6 to 2.0? Or at least create two
> packages lyx1 and lyx?
>
> Is there known bugs there?

I'm not sure if this applies to Arch. it might be just an issue with the
binary provided in the repository for PCLinuxOS... Where I just did an
apt-get upgrade a few days ago and wound up with LyX 2.0.0 And had some
issues with the spellchecker and/or the preference settings for it.

Most of which would not be an issue if I didn't sometimes have difficulty
with using the mouse and/or if I LIKED sidebars.
	«I don't mind the spellchecker being sidebar style instead of the
	 pop-up because the pop-up used to sometimes hide the context of
	 the word in question.‥ BUT I can't seem to turn off the option to
	 spell check continuously... And there isn't a keyboard shortcut
	 to dismiss the sidebar.»

However I did note that while the preferences say it's using aspell, adding
a word to the dictionary does NOT put it in ~/.aspell.en.pws which I can
edit to remove words I wish I hadn't added... (Thus it seems my PCLinuxOS
copy of LyX will forever accept "puleese" as a legitimate alternative
spelling for "please" cause I can't un-add it.

And also added a hyphenated "name" «literally ‘Avant-garde’» to the
dictionary to ensure I spelled it consistently. The Spellchecker on my
PCLinuxOS copy of LyX 2.0.0 no longer recognizes that, even after I tried
adding it again...

You can find the discussion I started on the LyX user list at:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.general/70198