[arch-general] Reboot - Versioned Kernel Installs

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Sat Jun 11 14:13:56 EDT 2011

Am Sat, 11 Jun 2011 12:40:36 -0400
schrieb "Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtwdyp at ttlc.net>:

> OK so lets see if I understand... I already maintain a manually
> configured grub legacy partition where each of my installed Linux
> have both a chainloader menu entry to whichever grub that Linux has
> installed to /boot on it's root partition, AND a regular menu entry
> that specified the initrd & vmlinuz that I routinely copy to MY grub
> partition shortly after any kernel upgrade...
>
> So in the event that the new kernel was effectively broken that on MY
> hardware neither the chainloaded Arch nor the arch fallback menu
> entries were able to boot, I could then boot the not yet replaced
> last known good kernel and initrd directly from MY grub and then from
> a console root prompt:
>
> «assuming that the following tar.xz file is still there»
>
> pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/kernel26-2.6.38.6-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
>
> And when I next reboot using the chainloader to where arch has it's
> grub installed, and selected "Arch Linux" it should boot that kernel
> with it's initrd AND it's modules would be where it expects them with
> the result that it should be as fully functioning as it was before
> pacman upgraded from it???

Principally, yes.

But are you really sure that it is the updated kernel package and not
your grub installation or config which causes your boot failures?

Your description sounds pretty weird to me. Above all, what is a grub
legacy partition and why do you need chainload in grub legacy for
booting a Linux kernel? And are you sure that grub legacy is the right
bootloader for your uefi mainboard?

Heiko