[arch-general] Java 7 is now in [community-testing] and needs testing.

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 17:41:56 EDT 2011

Hi,

Java 7 is getting released on July 28th so I thought it would be a good time
to let users test it out.
I have just pushed jre/jdk 7 build 147 into [community-testing] so that
users can have a month in advance to report bugs, and notify upstream
projects if they are incompatible with java 7.
You should be able to install jre/jdk 7 without the need to enable any of
the testing repos.

I have tested it on my computer with a couple of browser games which seem to
work fine.

The only program that doesn't work with Java 7 afaik is minecraft, the
specific problem can be tracked here:
http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topics/minecraft_doesnt_work_with_java_7
Hopefully we can have enough users complaining that the devs will take
notice.

A summary of the changes that come with Java 7:
http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk7/features/

Bugs that are not packaging bugs should be submitted to
http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/

The Java 7 feedback forum is located at
http://www.java.net/forums/jdk/java-se-snapshots-project-feedback?force=259

Cheers!