[arch-general] pacman/libalpm/libfetch do not honor TMPDIR

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Tue Nov 29 14:18:47 EST 2011

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 19:50:46 +0100
"Jérôme M. Berger" <jeberger at free.fr> wrote:
> 	And if your machine only boots very rarely (because it runs
> continuously or because you hibernate it instead of rebooting) then
> your "temporary" folder is never cleaned up. The solution that makes
> the most sense is to have /tmp on a disk and to use tmpwatch [1][2]
> in a cron job to clean it up regularly.
>
> 		Jerome
>
> [1] http://fedorahosted.org/tmpwatch/
> [2] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23510

I am not sure what you mean, but we have uptimes averaging 170 days on the
cluster (arch/rhel/ubuntu) and never had a single problem with overfull
ext2 /tmp (FS size ~10Gb).

Again, you are thinking pure desktop (even not workstation) -- the most
important file in your /tmp is a youtube video. What about various backup
solutions which run continuously over the above 5 month period? Or various
user data which they put in /tmp? Or data from compilation? Or situations when
RAM is a resource?

Hibernating is a purely windows concept, doing it on a linux machine is
basically looking for trouble, especially because hibernation gives no benefits
over shutting down. And IMHO putting a simple hook into /etc/pm is much more
rational than having yet another daemon.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D