[arch-general] xmodmap

Jorge Almeida jjalmeida at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 09:05:54 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM, XeCycle <xecycle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida at gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> It seems that xmodmap requires being run from an emulator inside an X
>> session, which it's not supposed to.
>
> I'm afraid not.  For me, I'm running it like this:
>
> .xinitrc:
> #!/bin/sh
> metacity & wmpid=$!
> sleep 2
> xmodmap ~/.xmodmaps &
> # other commands
> wait $wmpid
>
> It works for me.

Thanks. It may be an openbox thing, but then you started your wm
before other stuff. Any special reason for that? Why not exec into
metacity in the end, rather than keeping .xinitrc waiting? And why
backgrounding xmodmap? I suppose I should try all possibilities, but
it remains the mystery: why running from the console doesn't work?

Jorge Almeida