[arch-general] cannot generate enough entropy for pacman-key --init

Alper Kanat tunix at raptiye.org
Sat Oct 15 11:56:07 EDT 2011

Hey There,

I have an Arch Linux box inside Virtualbox on a Mac that I use for
development purposes. I connect to this machine via SSH without any visual
interface. It's on [testing] and just upgraded to pacman 4.0 and after
installation it asked me to run pacman-key --init to generate the necessary
keys for my system. I did all of these inside GNU Screen (also tried without
it without any luck):

$ sudo pacman-key --init
gpg: Generating pacman keychain master key...

Not enough random bytes available.  Please do some other work to give
the OS a chance to collect more entropy! (Need 300 more bytes)

I pressed random bits with the keyboard but it didn't work so I fired up
another window inside screen and did cat /dev/urandom > /dev/null but that
also didn't work. So I found this [1] article and tried it again without any
luck.

So I'm basically stuck here. Can someone please help me? Since pacman is
bricked, I can't also install anything. Now I have to manually downgrade
pacman if I can't succeed.

Thanks!

[1] http://www.thingy-ma-jig.co.uk/blog/22-01-2010/generate-entropy-gnupg

---