[arch-general] cannot generate enough entropy for pacman-key --init

Alper Kanat tunix at raptiye.org
Sat Oct 15 12:23:43 EDT 2011

Hello,

As I wrote earlier, I don't have a mouse interface at all since I'm
accessing the Arch box via SSH on my Mac. I checked the entropy level via
cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_level and it was around 58 at most. So I
installed rng-tools, changed TIMEOUT in /etc/conf.d/rngd from 0 to 10.

When I ran rngd -f -r /dev/urandom and ran pacman-key --init, it completed
in seconds. Issue solved. This is probably about being inside a VM which
limits the entropy level somehow.

---
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?