[arch-general] imagemagick and calibre have problems with libtool in testing

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Fri Sep 9 21:15:50 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 18:51, Gaetan Bisson <bisson at archlinux.org> wrote:
> [2011-09-09 17:24:54 -0500] Myra Nelson:
>> I'm not complaining, bitching, griping, xxxxx
>
> I only asked for more information (in a tone I believe was neutral) to
> try and diagnose the issue your had; offending you was not my intention.
>
>> I'm just trying to pass on information in case
>> some one else ran into the same problem.
>
> Not so many people use [testing], so it is worth diagnosing and fixing
> your problem even if nobody else reports similar issues yet.
>
>> pacman -Uf libtool-2.4-5-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz libltdl-2.4-5-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
>
> Is there a particular reason why you always use the --force option?
>
>> pacman -Qi imagemagick  -- when I rebuilt imagemagick I built the
>> latest version from their website.
>
> When nobody flags packages out-of-date, they often stay out-of-date.
>
> --
> Gaetan

I apologize if I came off a little terse, that was not my intent. I
generally write what comes to mind at the time and forget to re-read
and correct and errors of judgement.

Since I started using the -f (force option) prior to my hospital stay
in January, I don't really remember the reason. I have a bash alias
set up which allows me to type pacu for the pacman -Uf command. I lost
a lot of memory due to CO2 poisoning when I crashed in January and
really can't remember. I just keep picking up the pieces and moving
trying to move on. That's one reason I'm running [testing], it
provides me with some challenges when things break. I get to learn new
things. By compiling my own packages and sorting out what's wrong when
something doesn't work I gain insight about how things fit together.
Most Arch users probably know this, but using a computer is about
learning how a computer works, why it does what it does, and how to
make it do what you want it to do.

Enough babbling, I'll flag imagemagick out of date and calibre as
well, there is a new version out.

Myra