[arch-general] wvdial and ppp configuration

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sat Sep 10 18:12:36 EDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 12:56:08AM +0300, cantabile wrote:

> This thread is relevant:
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2010-June/014388.html

Yes and no.

Early ADSL modems (such as the green Alcatel flat fish shaped one,
I still have it) required you to set up a ppp connection on top
of the ATM based link they provided. Today's ADSL modems provide
a network interface directly and don't need require the user's
system to use ppp.

I see no reason why a wireless broadband modem couldn't do the
same, and it it looks as if this one does - at least the fact
that it seems to provide the 'usb0' interface (with Link encap:
Ethernet) seems to suggest this. But no-one seems to known how
to use it.

Ciao,

--
FA