[arch-general] no desktop: howto change default browser?

F.Gr. francesco.groccia at poste.it
Mon Sep 12 06:18:18 EDT 2011

Uli Armbruster [2011-09-11T21:50 CEST]:

> * clemens fischer <ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org> [11.09.2011
> 20:35]:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when using eg. "evince" to view a PDF document, links open in
> > "epiphany", which seems to be a gnome default browser.

[...]
> > Does somebody know how to change the setting for default-browser
> > when no desktop is used?
>
> Put
>
> export BROWSER=your_browser
>
> into your bashrc, zshrc or into a file you put into /etc/profile.d,
> depending on what you want.

some application (in my case e.g. google earth) doesn't work
correctly by putting BROWSER variable into ~/.zshrc. I've solved by
putting the following into ~/.xprofile:

BROWSER='/usr/bin/firefox'
export BROWSER

--
It is perfectly possible, in theory and historically, to have
efficient and courteous police, competent and learned judges, and