[arch-general] Think twice before moving to systemd

Denis A. Altoé Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 00:22:09 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM, John K Pate <j.k.pate at sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 15:16:31 +0200
>> Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> My problem with CONFIG_HZ exists
>>> independently of whether you experience the problem yourself or not.
>>
>> But it suggests that the problem is not *just* systemd and
>> CONFIG_HZ=300. I am, and many others are, running systemd with
>> CONFIG_HZ=300 fine.
>
> Show me two bootcharts, one with CONFIG_HZ_300=y, and another with
> CONFIG_HZ_1000=y. Then I will believe that you are running systemd
> fine. The other possibility is that you are just not noticing the
> problem.

Chalange accepted.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9222479/bootchart-arch-hz300.png

Bootchart of 20 seconds, with Arch stock kernel, CONFIG_HZ=300. You
can see that kdm is started in around 7 seconds after boot starts.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9222479/bootchart-ck-hz1000.png

Same length chart, with CK patchset kernel, from AUR package (some
problems compiling stock kernel with CONFIG_HZ=1000, not related to
systemd at all0. You'll be amazed to see kdm starting at around the
same time.

Happy now?

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.