[arch-general] What hapenned to netcfg ?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 7 05:09:52 EST 2012

Am 07.02.2012 10:56, schrieb Alfredo Palhares:

> Hello,
>
> I was just talking about this on #archlinux-offtopic.
>
> No one is acepting patches[1]  to the netcfg[2] project.
> I aplied as mainteiner when help was asked[3] (as masterkorp) . No replies.
> Can i apply again ? Is anyone taking care of it?

One problem with the maintainer application was that nobody took care of
it, so it was forgotten. The bigger problem was that many people
replied, but none of them had actually contributed any patches to netcfg
in the past (or if they did, I couldn't find those patches). How are you
supposed to choose a maintainer when you don't know how familiar anyone
is with the project?

If you are serious about maintaining netcfg (and this is not just
directed at you, but anyone), then do the following:

0) Join [arch-projects].
1) Collect pending netcfg patches into a git tree (you can find them in
the [arch-projects] archives, in various working trees, whatever).
2) Write some improvements yourself, so we see what kind of plans you
have for netcfg. Put them in your git tree.
3) Publish the git tree on [arch-projects] for review.

If you get all that done, your own code is good and you can keep writing
code yourself, then consider yourself the new netcfg maintainer (again,
anyone else can do this as well).

Have fun and we hope to hear from you on [arch-projects].