[arch-general] Kmod testing

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Fri Jan 6 02:38:03 EST 2012

Fisrt Kmod experience, which spit out a lot of udevd messages, logged in,
startx, openbox starts, then one locked up box. I was going to Ctrl Alt F2,
log in, and do some work with udevadm but I had no keyboard of mouse
control. I turned the box off then on to reboot, pacman -Rdd kmod pacman -S
module-init-tools then reboot.  I've examined the boot log from the
previous run and here is a sample.

Fri Jan  6 01:03:19 2012: udevd[310]: failed to execute '/sbin/modprobe'
'/sbin/modprobe -bv acpi:LNXCPU:': No such file or directory
Fri Jan  6 01:03:19 2012:
Fri Jan  6 01:03:19 2012: udevd[393]: failed to execute '/sbin/modprobe'
'/sbin/modprobe -bv acpi:PNP0C04:': No such file or directory
Fri Jan  6 01:03:19 2012:
Fri Jan  6 01:03:19 2012: udevd[334]: failed to execute '/sbin/modprobe'
'/sbin/modprobe -bv acpi:PNP0C02:': No such file or directory
Fri Jan  6 01:03:19 2012:
Fri Jan  6 01:03:19 2012: udevd[324]: failed to execute '/sbin/modprobe'
'/sbin/modprobe -bv acpi:PNP0401:': No such file or directory

I went back and read the messages from Dave and Dan to see if I'd missed
anything and hadn't. After the install of Kmod, before I rebooted, I read
the help message from kmod --help and there were commands listed for
compatibilty mod with modprobe. I've already been triggering the udev rules
after I boot to find my audio card but that wont work for this behavior
because triggering the rules will simply look for /sbin/modprobe again. The
kernel update came in at the same time, so the initrd images were rebuilt
prior to rebooting.

For know I've put kmod in my ignore packages line in pacman.conf. Do the
udevd rules need to be written to point to kmod with it's compatibility
mode or is there another solution?

Thanks for any assistance.

Myra