[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

fredbezies fredbezies at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 00:59:34 EDT 2012

Hello.

I've read all the arguments of Tom and Ionut. Here is my own $0.02 on
it. When I started using archlinux back in end of 2008, the winning
point was this file. A centralized one where you can set up a lot of
single options.

It is *far* simpler to edit /etc/rc.conf to load daemons or modules
than editing 2 or 3 files.

"Killing" /etc/rc.conf can't be do so soon. Or you'll see a lot of old
users moving their on other distributions. For me it will be a one way
ticket to fedora. And I *do hate* this idea.

But developpers must know better than users what is the best for the
distro. Killing /etc/rc.conf ? Why not. But for me, it is more KISS
oriented than /etc/locale.conf, /etc/vconsole.conf,
/etc/modprobe.d/*.conf files.

As I said, it is my $0.02. Excuse my bad english, I'm no really awake !

--
Frederic Bezies
fredbezies at gmail.com