[arch-general] systemd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Jun 1 19:06:34 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM, solsTiCe d'Hiver
<solstice.dhiver at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am following the wiki page about it
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd

Help wolud be appreciated on improving the systemd documentation in
our wiki, people seem to agree that it is not as good as we are used
to (which is largely my bad).

> are /etc/hostname, /etc/vconsole.conf, /etc/timezone, /etc/locale.conf
> not in the systemd package ?

If you don't use these files at all systemd will fall back to rc.conf.
/etc/timezone should not be needed afaik (though maybe stuff like
gnome will create it for you).

> I know they are very specific to my system but so is rc.conf but it is
> nonetheless part of initscripts

IMHO there is no value in adding these files. Empty files are not much
worth, and having to deal with .pacsave/.pacnew/.pacorig files on
upgrade for just comments seems wasteful. Please refer to the relevant
manpages, they each have one.

> Also, I vaguely remember that service are symlinked
> in /etc/systemd/.../something from /usr/lib/systemd/something.
> This step is not even mentionned in the wiki page

This is an implementation detail that you should not in principle need
to know about as an end user. Use "systemctl enable/disable
<your-service>.service", and this will do the right thing with the
symlinks for you.

> In fact, I am looking at a tutorial to configure my system with systemd
> and all the service/daemon I already use.

If native support exists, then installing systemd-arch-units, and
enabling the relevant services should suffice. We are not yet
up-to-speed on converting all the rc scripts into systemd services, so
in the meantime you have the choice between using initscripts-systemd
(which will try to read your DAEMONS array and start the rc scripts),
making your own service files, or waiting for them to be converted.

> I don't even talk about lvm/cryptsetup stuff...

lvm/cryptsetup stuff is not well documented, i have been meaning to
get into that. Simple cases of lvm usage should work by simlply
enabling lvm.service, but more complicated cases might not yet work.
As to cryptsetup, this works mostly as with initsrcipts, but the
syntax of /etc/crypttab is slightly different. There is sadly no
proper documentation for this yet, but if you google Debian's manpages
they are a good start.

> So, how do you guys have done this ? I don't mind if you tell me to RTFM
> but where is the manual ?

Check out all the manpages that come with systemd (there are a lot of them).

Cheers,

Tom