[arch-general] Complete mess after having attempted to install Nvidia drivers‏

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Fri Jun 22 07:03:38 EDT 2012

nelsonmarambio at gmx.de [2012.06.22 1217 +0200]:
> Hm ... but is this not just a second possibility ?
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 13:13:38 +0300
> > Von: Jesse Juhani Jaara <jesse.jaara at gmail.com>
> > An: General Discussion about Arch Linux <arch-general at archlinux.org>
> > Betreff: Re: [arch-general] Complete mess after having attempted to install Nvidia drivers‏

> > > How am I going to do this?
> > > In normal boot, I can't use my keyboard and, when booting from a
> > > LiveCD, I can't install anything on the system.
> > No you don't boot into LiveCD like someone said before thingking at all,
> > this is Arch after all, we all have working text console and are not
> > dependan't on X to be able to work. Just boot into text mode by adding 3
> > at the end of the kernel boot line, if you used the inittab method, but
> > if you have used the DAEMONS=(.... gdm/kdm/xdm/... ....) method you 1st
> > need to boot into single user mode by adding 's' instead of 3. Then in
> > the single user mode remount the / filesystem rw and edit rc.conf to not
> > start the loginmanager. Then you change into init mode 3 and there just
> > login like regularry and install xorg-server package 'pacman -S
> > xorg-server'

I would think that it's rather the other way around.  Why would I have to go to
the trouble of putting in a CD, boot, chroot, ... if I can simply boot the
system itself and take advantage of its built-in recovery mechanisms (like text
consoles, single-user mode, etc.)

I think the measures you have to take to fix your system depend on how messed up
it is.  If you can get a text console from a normal boot (e.g., if only the X
server is messed up as in this case), fix things there.  If you can't but you
can boot into single-user mode, do that.  If your system is messed up enough
that it doesn't even boot any more, then a LiveCD may be called for.

Cheers,
Norbert