[arch-general] grub/grub2 final - some questions

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 10:11:40 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Keshav P R <the.ridikulus.rat at gmail.com> wrote:

> I assume you are talking about non-UEFI systems which are currently
> booting via grub-legacy, ie current core/grub or aur/grub-gfx . For
> such systems, once grub-bios (aka grub2-bios) is installed, the user
> has to follow https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Install_to_440-byte_MBR_boot_code_region
> to install grub(2)'s boot code in the MBR. Then follow
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Generate_GRUB2_BIOS_Config_file
> to generate grub.cfg . This is in case of BIOS+MBR booting.

Thank you for your long and helpful reply - and yes in my case it was
non-UEFI systems that I was referring to!  It is clear I will need to
do quite a lot of reading to be sure I don't break my systems when
grub2 is released to [core]!  However at least all this can be done
ahead of the change!

Best wishes
Mike
--