[arch-general] Pacman behaviour comparing numerical versions for package upgrades

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Fri Jun 29 18:28:18 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:50 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 29.06.2012 07:50, schrieb Myra Nelson:
>> I have a question about pacman's behaviour regarding packges to be updated.
>>
>> According to < $: man pacman >
>>
>> You can also use pacman -Su to upgrade all packages that are out of
>> date. See Sync Options below. When upgrading, pacman performs version
>> comparison to determine which packages need upgrading.
>
> Dan once told me that pacman uses the same version comparing algorithm
> that rpm uses (and deb probably uses the same). Just saying that we
> didn't invent it, but it is de-facto standard.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Allan and Florian cleared up
any misconceptions I had. I read the section in <man pacman> about
using epoch=1 for such situations but it didn't register, hence my
question. I rebuilt the packaged with epoch=1 and the message turned
to perl???? local is newer than perl??? repo.

@Thomas

This is why I love Arch. It helps one learn things that you never
would have found out using other distributions.

Myra