[arch-general] Weird charset in console and X

Martín Cigorraga msx at archlinux.us
Thu Sep 20 22:35:55 EDT 2012

Hi everyone, I desperatly need a second look here because this one is
driving me nuts:
I just found that the console charset it's totally screwed up and in minor
degree the X vty,
please see these screenshots:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/111794870164633905684/albums/5789742128977532193

Now, the crazy thing is that all my locales seems to be right:
/etc $ cat locale.gen
#en_PH ISO-8859-1
#en_SG.UTF-8 UTF-8
#en_SG ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_US ISO-8859-1
#en_ZA.UTF-8 UTF-8
#en_ZA ISO-8859-1
#en_ZM UTF-8

/etc $ locale -a
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.utf8
POSIX

/etc $ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

and
/etc $ cat rc.conf
# CONSOLEMAP: found in /usr/share/kbd/consoletrans
# USECOLOR: use ANSI color sequences in startup messages
#
LOCALE="en_US.UTF-8"
DAEMON_LOCALE="no"
HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"
TIMEZONE="America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires"
KEYMAP=
CONSOLEFONT="ter-i12n"
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"

# HARDWARE

I first think it could be associated with Terminus font (ter-i12n) but it
wasn't it since booting with default font produces the same result.
I also rebuild the initram image without the consolefont hook, but's still
the same.
Do I miss something!?
Thanks!