[arch-general] Realtek wifi won't come up

M0r S m0rtiferrimus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 20:51:36 EST 2013

Hey everyone,
I'm trying to install Arch. The first time I tried installing everything
worked fine, even the wifi, which usually doesn't work with linux. However,
my laptop battery died in the middle of downloading packages because I was
careless and hadn't plugged it in.
Now, when I enter "ip link set wlp2s0f0 up", it doesn't set the interface
up. Strangely, when I reboot, the interface is renamed to wlan0 (that's
what it was when the wifi worked), even though the wiki says it shouldn't.
Running "modprobe -r rtl8192ce && modprobe rtl8192ce" changes the interface
name to wlp2s0f0. "ip link" gives me (besides the lo interface)
3: wlp2s0f0: <BROADCAST, MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc nook state DOWN mode
DEFAULT qlen 1000 link/ether 00:e0:4c:81:92:53 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
Before, it gave me:
2: wlan0: <NO-CARRIER, BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state
DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000 link/ether 24:ec:99:4c:60:1f brd
ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
What else can I try? Lspci and dmesg show that the firmware has been loaded
and that the card has been recognized.

Thanks!
Josh