[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] BIND10? No, thanks.

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 16:37:01 EST 2013

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Mike Cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Great. I was actually going to open a feature request for this on
>> flyspray.
>> The only thing: whouldn't one need community/unbound (unbound-host AFAIR)
>> replace nslookup?
>

> Do I interpret this as meaning that if dnstools and bind are removed from
> the arch repos, then ldns carries the tools as a replacement, but that
> "unbound" is a dependent package that would then be the authoritative
> resolver that replaces bind?  Or would it be that ldns would contain not
> only the dns tools (such as the replacement for dig etc), but also the full
> authoritative resolver merged into the code?
>
> Maybe I just don't understand the proposal here. Perhaps someone could
> clarify what the proposal means?

Apologies for replying to my own previous post, but having read up a little
more about authoritative and caching/recursive namerservers - it seems that
a good alternative to bind (which I use on all my machines especially as a
local authoritative DNS server for local networking) would be to use nsd as
the pure authoritative nameserver in combination with unbound as a
recursive caching nameserver. Both are packages available in arch. Once
installed both have systemd service files, and it seems that setting them
up is not too difficult - and I already had ldns installed (presume from
the base install) so I guess having those three packages running would give
a pretty good alternative to bind/dnstools though it would be nice to know
if anyone is already using these and could post on how well they perform?

--
mike c