[arch-general] PS: Virtualbox downgrade - Was: FS#41424 - Virtualbox 4.3.14, USB doesn't work flawlessly

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Nov 22 20:06:24 UTC 2014

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 20:25:16 +0100
Nowaker <enwukaer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Following upstream when the software is broken IMO doesn't make
> > sense.
>
> Arch Linux policy is to follow upstream whenever it's possible and
> things generally work. A bug with USB doesn't mean VirtualBox is
> broken. Please submit a bug to the upstream, and use the older
> version for now.
>
> Arch is not Debian stable. You get fresh packages (a plus), which
> sometimes may not work (a minus). It's your choice what you prefer
> most. I for one have to stay on MESA 10.1.4, otherwise I'd experience
> random hangs a few times a day.
>
> IgnorePkg = llvm lib32-llvm lib32-llvm-libs llvm-libs ati-dri
> lib32-ati-dri mesa lib32-mesa mesa-libgl lib32-mesa-libgl svga-dri
> lib32-svga-dri xf86-video-ati

Hi Damian,

all released packages > 4.3.12 suffered from the same bug. It was
reported to the Arch bugtracker. Around the same time there was a
serious upstream bug for Evolution too, but it get fixed with the next
released package and even if it wouldn't have been fixed yet, just
down grading and keeping an older version of sqlite (or for other
software other packages) is not an issue. Unfortunately downgrading
virtualbox (dkms) doesn't work with the current kernel version, IMO this
is something completely different. I can downgrade, because I use other
kernels too.

IOW I know how to use Arch Linux, I'm aware about Arch's policy, that's
why I'm using it. IMO virtualbox has to be better maintained or it
should be moved to AUR.

Why should I report a bug that already is reported? It's not wanted to
report a bug that already was reported.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13575

And as you can see, it's not related to Apple. And not everybody who
does use Apple, does automatically use DRM and other crap.

Some people might use vim and/or other similar software and just like
the hardware of the iPad,
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vim/id492668168?mt=8 .

Regards,
Ralf