[arch-general] Catalyst and GNOME 3.14

Robbie Smith zoqaeski at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 07:29:04 UTC 2014

Hi everyone. Is anyone else having issues trying to start GNOME 3.14
with the Catalyst driver for AMD/ATI cards? I've got one of those
laptops with the dual AMD cards (discrete and onboard), and the
open-source drivers have never worked for me, forcing me to use
Catalyst. With the latest update to GNOME 3.14, trying to log in results
in the fail screen, and the system logs report that gnome-shell has been
trying to restart too many times.

The best my Google-fu can discover is that it's due to Wayland being a
core part of GNOME… or something.