[arch-general] A good time to switch to dash as /bin/sh?

lolilolicon lolilolicon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 19:04:21 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 6:54 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-09-26 at 06:24 +0800, lolilolicon wrote:
>> Anything that has the #!/bin/sh line should be written in pure sh.
>> If you want bash, ask for bash.
>
> I absolutely agree with your statement and that is why I don't care
> about the sh link ;). IMO it's the useless link ever.

But you're missing the fact that /bin/sh is hardcoded in system calls,
such as system(3), popen(3).
So /bin/sh has to exist. The question is what should really be? My
answer is whatever is closest to what pure sh is supposed to be, thus
dash (definitely not bash).