[arch-general] A good time to switch to dash as /bin/sh?

lolilolicon lolilolicon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 08:34:02 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 8:19 PM, Mailing Lists
<mailinglists at hawkradius.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 05:43 PM, Martti Kühne wrote:
>> Removing bashisms would not have any inpact in security but rather
>> enable us switching /bin/sh away from /usr/bin/bash. Which we in
>> general appear to agree on?
>>
>> cheers!
>> mar77i
>
> No problems there. All I'm saying is that switching should be done if
> the effort is worth it in terms of increased security, and if getting
> rid of bashisms isn't that huge a problem. Otherwise who am I to
> question a performance boost?

I'm not after a performance boost either, although again, it would be a
nice side effect.

Getting rid of bashism isn't hard: upon further inspection, I find
there are extremely few #!/bin/sh scripts that will not work with dash.

Perhaps debian has worked with upstream to improve the situation? I
don't know.