[arch-general] Upgrading from linux 4.0.0 to 4.0.1 without reboot

Dan Haworth dan at xigen.co.uk
Wed Apr 29 16:08:09 UTC 2015

On 29/04/15 16:50, Chi Hsuan Yen wrote:
> I just upgraded to linux 4.0.1-1 in [core] from linux 4.0.0-2 in [testing].
> In recent days, I've heard of lots of news that since kernel 4.0, no reboot
> is necessary for upgrading kernel. However, uname still gives me the old
> kernel version:
>
> $ uname -r
> 4.0.0-2-ARCH
>
> Is it necessary to run additional commands for completing kernel upgrading,
> or do I have to wait for some time? If I have to wait, how long should I
> wait for?
>
> Thanks for any related information or opinions!
According to my understanding, 4.0 just implements the groundwork
required for rebootless patching of the kernel, there's still a lot of
work to be done to implement this in the long run - specially for a
desktop system. I wouldn't plan on seeing true no reboot patching of the
kernel for a while yet.

Although, I do agree, I'm looking foward to that day!

Dan