[arch-general] Fwd: Kernel panic - after upgrade

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Feb 2 17:27:15 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2 Feb 2015 17:29:25 +0100, Csányi Pál wrote:
> So I can tell that the RAM is all right on this desktop PC box, right?

Most likely the main memory is _not_ defect. However, when passing the
memtest it's without guarantee that the RAM is ok and if there would
have been errors, it also wouldn't necessarily mean that the RAM is
broken. Memtest isn't perfect. But since we are talking about "Voodoo",
have you checked, if your power supply is able to handle the worst case
scenario? Have you replaced the battery? Power supply and the battery
unlikely are the culprits either, but both could cause "Voodoo" too.

I suspect that it's a software issue or unlikely a very wicked
hardware issue.

Have you checked the homepage of your mobo regarding BIOS updates (or
whatever the "BIOS" is called nowadays). Are there changelogs that
ever mentioned Linux incompatibilities?

The very last thing I would do, is to care about strange "Voodoo". I
would test Arch's Linux LTS, downgrade systemd and similar.

Most likely it's a user issue, or a complete incompatibility to Linux
of some hardware component. I returned several times hardware that was
mentioned by the vendors by Linux communities as Linux compatible and
not seldom it put out, that there was one revision, chipset nobody cared
about, neither the communities, nor the vendors or nobody did use all
features of the hardware.

Backup your current install and make a clean new install. Replace the
default kernel with
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/linux-lts/
or with linux-rt-lts from the Arch Audio repository or from AUR, since
it's 3.10..., don't worry about the Rt-patch, when instlling it just
for testing purpose.