[arch-general] makepkg as root

Mark Lee mark at markelee.com
Sun Jan 4 04:23:12 UTC 2015

On 01/03/15 23:18, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 9:11 PM, Mark Lee <mark at markelee.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe the issue is deprecation of a feature utilized by an AUR (non
>> officially sanctioned) package (yaourt). It should be the responsibility of
>> the AUR maintainer to engage in discussions regarding deprecation of
>> official features; and it should be the AUR maintainer's responsibility to
>> modify their packages accordingly.
>>
>> With that in mind; how will building on live cd's as non root work? Will
>> users need to trivially make a pacman user for building packages?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mark
>>
> Please don't make things up, yaourt does not use --asroot unless you run
> yaourt as root, which means that whether you use yaourt is completely
> irrelevant.
>
> Running yaourt as root is going to make yaourt run makepkg as root, so the
> solution is... don't run yaourt as root? Since YAOURT ITSELF tries hard to
> discourage you from doing just that, I fail to see the problem.
>
> And even if it WAS a problem for yaourt, the idea that an aur package
> should or would restrict the further development of pacman and makepgk is
> absolutely ludicrous.
>
> Okay, that option can now be removed altogether. And in fact it was,
> because funnily enough, it seems the yaourt maintainer doesn't care one
> iota and happily added this change:
> https://github.com/archlinuxfr/yaourt/commit/3f60d14443ef14687e4e2cb60c92209f2f1c9052
> which leaves yaourt brilliantly happy with pacman 4.2
>
> In short, this absolutely not in any way shape or form about aur helpers.
> It is about people who want to build packages (however they care to do so)
> from a root shell.
>
> -- Eli Schwartz
An AUR (unofficial package) shouldn't be restricting the development of
an official package. But, a dialogue regarding any differences surely
can take place.

If you think it's solely about building from a root shell; you should
re-read the thread. It surely has progressed past that dialogue. Calm
down for a bit and don't miss the forrest for the trees.

Regards,
Mark