[arch-general] makepkg as root

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 03:47:14 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 8:55 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe the answer depends to the reason, that the discouraged option was
> provided for some _unknown_ reason. I absolutely agree that dropping
> --asroot is something we can accept. But I'm likely not the only one
> who noticed that backwards compatibility became a serious issue for
> Linux user space software. I mentioned Torvalds, because even he is
> unable to make clear why some policies are completely wrong. At least
> he has got the decision-making power not to implement everything into
> the kernel. If those guys who quote Redhad sources as the one and only
> truth would have more decision-making power, than Torvalds has got, our
> kernels would be buggy Redhad ruled things, with broken dbus
> implementation and other damages. Fortunately the kernel is protected,
> but user space isn't protect, so IMO we should be noisy when things
> happen that might be borderline.

Oh, so you admit that you are riding your hobby horse here, and that
it isn't really about pacman at all, but rather about a completely
unrelated topic, e.g. What Is Wrong With The Linux Community These
Days?

In short, and this is what I have been wondering for most of this
thread, why are we using the Arch-general mailing list to discuss our
personal disappointments with Redhat development policy, by pretending
we are talking about pacman, when really we aren't actually talking
about pacman?

pacman 4.2 is not indicative of the same mindset as
Redhat/Poettering/systemd/dbus/whatever, and there is no need to
artificially tie the two together merely to gain a soapbox upon which
to stand and declaim against Redhat.

Get a blog.

-- Eli Schwartz