[arch-general] [now it's really solved] dunst autostart

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 9 14:19:37 UTC 2015

On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 14:22:26 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 05:52:10 -0700, Patrick Burroughs (Celti) wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 13:31:09 +0100 Ralf Mardorf
> > <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > after rebooting dunst does run, but I don't know why it runs. I
> > > don't want that it does run for all WM sessions.
> >
> > > Does DBus start it? If so, how can I disable autostart?
> >
> > Yes, DBus autostarts it. To disable it,
> > edit /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.knopwob.dunst.service and change
> > the command to /usr/bin/true.
>
> Thank you,
>
> that does work. In addition I added the file
> to /etc/pacman.conf's NoExtract.
>
> There's still something I need to monitor. It might be related or
> unrelated to dunst. When dunst is installed and enabled Evolution
> works without an issue, if dunst is installed but disabled, Evolution
> works in slow motion. There wasn't this particular issue before I
> installed dunst. Now after a reboot dunst wasn't started, but
> Evolution misbehaves. It might be unrelated, just happen randomly. I
> don't know.

It is related. I made several tests.

I (re)moved the file:

sudo mkdir -p /root/usr/share/dbus-1/services/ ; sudo mv /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.knopwob.dunst.service /root/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.knopwob.dunst.service

Now I can run dunst to get Evolution notifications and I can ^C or
killall dunst to get rid of Evolution notifications and Evolution then
still does run without issues.

Regards,
Ralf