[arch-general] Fwd: Kernel panic - after upgrade

Csányi Pál csanyipal at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 19:01:27 UTC 2015

>> > error: extract: not overwriting dir with file /usr/lib64
>> >
>> > which means  /usr/lib64 is a directory on your system??
>> > since when didn't you upgrade?
>>
>> I did almost every day an update since I 'convert' this system from
>> parabolagnulinux to arch linux.
>> First this system was installed as arch linux, then it has ben
>> converted into parabolagnulinux, and finally it was reconverted back
>> into arch linux.
>>
>> > try "pacman -Syu -ignore filesystem ; pacman -S filesystem"
>>
>> I tried this abowe and the first part is executed successfully, but
>> after that just can't to reinstall the filesystem package because of
>> the existence of the /usr/lib64/ directory.
>>
>> > otherwise read through all of the https://www.archlinux.org/news/ and check
>> > the steps you need to do for every update you missed so far.
>>
>> As I tould abowe, I did update almost every day.
>>
>> What to do next?
>
> https://www.archlinux.org/news/update-filesystem-201301-1-and-glibc-217-2-together/
>
> » A potential issue with the upgrade on x86_64 is finding conflicting
> files in /usr/lib64. All Arch Linux packages that had files in this
> directory have been updated, so update these individually first. Any
> AUR packages with files in this directory should be updated to install
> them in /usr/lib. «
>
> afaik there was a wiki page about this too
>

> check what files you have in /usr/lib64/ and why. if they are from
> packages remove those packages.

There was only one package; after I remove it I can to reinstall the
filesystem package.

After that I run again
mkinitcpio -p linux

then exit from arch-chroot and reboot the machine.
Success!

I cn now login and start X Window, but say I can't run firefox.
When started firefox I get error message:
error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory.

Thank you all for help.

Have one advices just for the firefox problem because I think this is
related with my kernel-panic problem?

--
Regards from Pal