[arch-general] "error: unknown encoding UTF8: using iso88591 as fallback"

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Fri May 29 13:09:20 UTC 2015

On 29 May 2015 at 15:02, Rodrigo Rivas <rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com> wrote:
>> it seems for these apps it MUST be en_US.UTF-8 - that's the canonical
>> name of the encoding UTF-8 (with the dash).
>
> I don't think it is locale related, I've used both "en_US.utf8" and
> "en_US.UTF-8" in the past without issues.

that's half true.
glibc normalizes the name of the locale (to lowercase no dashes or
underscores - it's a historical thing) so glibc doesn't care.

the problem is that some toolkits/apps would extract the charset part
of the locale name directly, and not going through the
locale functions for that purpose. that has happened in the past, and
I wouldn't be supprised if there are toolkits/apps that still do that.

> And encoding names are used in many other places.
>
> My guess is that you have somewhere a XML file with a wrong declaration

I haven't seen this, but it's possible. good thing to check.

--
damjan