[arch-general] [Solved] KVM troubles

Luna Moonbright luna.moonbright at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 15:50:22 UTC 2015

Thanks, this image [1] certainly qualifies as a "intentionally
vulnerable" image. The guys at my school have used it pretty
extensively for target practice.

As for the morris worm the vulnerable function was: a use of gets()
directly on a packet that read into the first variable declared in the
program (which was, undeniably, a char array).

Good ole' buffer overflows. I just watched a talk on Cisco router
exploitation from '09 where the speaker went into a description of ROP
like it was a fairly unknown subject. Do you know when useing ROP
began being common as a mitigation for DEP?

As for places that are fairly easy to start learning exploitation I
would recommend slackware 10-12. Those are all 32-bit OSs with no DEP
and a sloppy pager. This is also a great resource for learning
exploitation [2].

If you want to continue this perhaps we could close the "KVM troubles
thread" and start an "exploitation general" thread which might pick
up a few more guys with additional resources.

[0] https://sourceforge.net/projects/metasploitable/
[1] https://opensecuritytraining.info

return 0;

[1] http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/