[arch-general] Alsa Softvol and MOC

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 14:02:05 UTC 2015

On 09/26/2015 08:26 AM, Christoph Gysin wrote:
> Alsa itself has a pulseaudio plugin. So applications using alsa will
> be routed through pulseaudio.
>
> I tried to find the source for that plugin, but couldn't find it.
> Maybe it was removed from alsa-plugins upstream? Or merged into
> another plugin?
>
> What is preventing speakup from using pulseaudio?
>
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Storm Dragon <stormdragon2976 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Howdy,
>> No, I don't have pulseaudio installed. I actually can't use it because it
>> will not allow me to use speakup in the console.  Interestingly enough, I
>> read something that said moc doesn't have support for pulseaudio. So, I must
>> have found outdated info.
>> Still, I wonder if we are missing a plugin in alsa itself?
>> thanks
>> Storm
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 03:09:38PM +0300, Christoph Gysin wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you using pulseaudio? This works out of the box for me with
>>> pulseaudio. moc controls the volume of whatever was the default sink
>>> when it was started.

>>> --
>>> echo mailto: NOSPAM !#$.'<*>'|sed 's. ..'|tr "<*> !#:2" org at fr33z3
>>

>> --
>> Powered by Arch Linux! I am registered Linux user number 508465:
>> https://linuxcounter.net/user/508465.html
>> My blog, Thoughts of a Dragon: http://www.stormdragon.tk/
>> get my public PGP key: gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-key 43DDC193
>> Twitter and Facebook are so ... yesteryear. Get your 2MB Social account
>> TODAY! http://2mb.social/main/register
>> Follow me on GNU Social: https://social.stormdragon.tk/storm
>> "Fell in a river of illusion and apathy"
>> Godsmack - Realign

hi
Speakup and pulse audio don't get along primarily because speakup is
built into the kernel as a module, meaning any speech synthesizers taht
talk to it have to be ran as root. If speakup is started before
pulseaudio starts, you'll get a situation where you get speech in the
desktop but not speech outside it. I'm not completely sure what the
cause is, but if you start espeakup, which is the espeak connector to
speakup after your desktop or pulse audio is started, it works, although
it's a little laggy. This sounds like a probme either for the speakup or
the pulseaudio people, but both deny responsibility for the problem,
urging me to bug the other, so nothing gets done. The only real
solution, if it can be called that, is to use speech-dispatcher with
speakup through a program called speechdup. But this program is long
abandoned and only works even half way in vinux, which is based off of
ubuntu.
Thanks
Kendell clark