[arch-general] System like glue, High IO Wait.

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 20:53:52 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 8:11 PM, Carsten Feuls <liste at carstenfeuls.de> wrote:

> snip
> The Systems are very unresponsive (long waiting on gui interaction).
> In Htop I can see a high CPU wait time,and a high cpu load, but in iftop
> no IO
> load is on the drives.
> I have these Probelem with 3 Arch Installations.
> These systems run kf5.
> All installations runs ArchLinux Stable (not testing), and the
> Installations
> are up to date.
> On my parents PC the problem only appear after the last update.
> I have copy the output to pastebin.
> http://pastebin.com/E4xnQKhJ
>
> For me it looks like a graphics bug.
> I have downgraded the kernel to an older version but it does not resolve
> the
> problem.
> Maybe anybody know something about that. Or have an larger expertise in
> investigating this bug.
>
> I use archlinux now longer than six years. I have solved much problems. But
> this bug makes me crazy..

One question is what your hardware is - certainly for newer machines with
recent graphics hardware I have not had any serious slow response issues,
but for machines that are 5 or 6 years old I have had very considerable
limitations attempting to run plasma with its much more extensive demands
on the graphics hardware.  I have had to make the decision to only run
plasma on my machines here that are Ivybridge processor family or later.
On machines where the graphics hardware is a serious limitation I have
found that some performance can be regained by switching off all desktop
effects, and turning off desktop cube animation for switching between
desktops within plasma.  You might want to check or list the hardware on
the machines affected?  Others may have other suggestions but you would
need to provide information about your hardware and possibly diagnostics
from log files before people might be able to suggest what the problem is.

--
mike c