[arch-general] GTK2 GUIs became a PITA after upgrade

Florian Pelz pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Tue Apr 12 19:32:10 UTC 2016

On 04/12/2016 09:07 PM, Kyle Terrien wrote:
> Does anyone off the top of his/her head know of any good tools or guides
> for converting gtk2 themes to gtk3 themes?
>
> --Kyle

I don't know very much, but it's all done in CSS nowadays. There are no
more programmable theming engines for GTK+ 3, i.e. themes for it can't
do as much, but CSS should be simpler.

You should probably take a look at the default themes [1] as an example
and possibly the outdated [2] to take a look at how themes can be
packaged. And of course [3] for a not fully cleaned-up reference on what
is available in GTK+ CSS.

And of course this discussion will probably more fruitful on GNOME
developer mailing lists [4].

[1] https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/gtk/theme
[2] https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-themes-standard/tree/
[3] https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/unstable/theming.html