[arch-general] Emacs package is too stable?

Kwang Moo Yi kwang.m.yi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 13:29:39 UTC 2016

Hello,

Thanks for the quick response!
Okay, so I guess I should stick to emacs-git in the AUR.
Once the gnu.org infrastructure is back up.
They seem to have a network provider problem at the moment.

Cheers,
Kwang

On 08/12/2016 03:15 PM, Bastian Beischer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Emacs 25.1 is not yet released, but will be soon. The second release
> candidate is currently being prepared. The version of emacs in extra
> is the current stable release, and will probably be updated once 25.1
> is out.
>
> If you want to try emacs 25.1 on Arch you can build it youself from
> the AUR package emacs25-git.
>
> Cheers
> Bastian
>
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Kwang Moo Yi via arch-general
> <arch-general at archlinux.org <mailto:arch-general at archlinux.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I recently started using arch linux and the official package for
>     emacs is a bit outdated compared to the one provided from Fedora,
>     which is where I come from.
>     I understand that the `emacs` package is intended for stable only,
>     so I didn't mark it as outdated.
>     However, current dev release 25.1 is quite stable, and it would be
>     great if it's provided as a binary package, as cloning and
>     building with the AUR package is quite a pain.
>     The stable releases that is available in the extras repo seem like
>     an LTS release.
>     Any plans on packaging for the recent tag releases?
>
>     Thanks,
>     Kwang
>

> --
> Bastian Beischer
> RWTH Aachen University of Technology
>
> @RWTH Aachen
> Office: 28 C 203
> Phone: +49-241-80-27205
> E-mail: beischer at physik.rwth-aachen.de
> <mailto:beischer at physik.rwth-aachen.de>
> Address: I. Physikalisches Institut B, Sommerfeldstr. 14, D-52074 Aachen
>
> @CERN
> Office: Bdg 32-4-B12
> Phone: +41-22-76-75750
> E-mail: bastian.beischer at cern.ch <mailto:bastian.beischer at cern.ch>
> Address: CERN, CH-1211 Geneve 23

Kwang Moo Yi,  Ph.D.
PostDoc Researcher in CVLAB

École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
EPFL CVLAB
BC 300 (Bâtiment BC)
Station 14
CH-1015 Lausanne,