[arch-general] Alternative init system proposal

Patrick Burroughs (Celti) celti at celti.name
Mon Feb 8 01:10:58 UTC 2016

On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 01:58:19 +0100
Ivan <parazyd at dyne.org> wrote:

> Hello, I have a proposal for Arch Linux developers and by mailing
> on this list I would also appreciate feedback from non-developers that
> use Arch Linux.
> Note: I am not here to hate on the current status, nor
> to disapprove of current Arch choices.
> [snip]

The big question you have to answer, the one you need to start with, is:

Why is it in the Arch dev's interests to maintain two init systems and
that much more area for incompatibility, that many more packages and
bugs to wrangle? Especially if they are happy using systemd?

Nobody could answer that question a few years ago, so the original Arch
initscripts were dropped in favour of a systemd-only distro.

If you have a serious answer, by all means, present it — but that *is*
the stumbling block here.

~Celti