[arch-general] Arch pkg user and group IDs?

Hauke Fath hf at spg.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Nov 27 17:27:17 UTC 2016

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 14:52:25 +0100, Martin Kühne via arch-general wrote:
> What I would recommend to you is to use another range further beyond
> 1000 for your network users and groups because with regard to what we
> established in the first paragraph, those don't seem to qualify as
> system users IMO.

Well, since we are talking about an existing system with a few dozen
users and more machines, plus a few servers, moving existing users and
groups is a last resort, and one that will create unhappiness and bad
fallout. I would rather not go there.

> And, just to mention it for completness, there is
> /etc/login.defs where you can theoretically adjust those numbers.

This

<snip>
# Min/max values for automatic uid selection in useradd
#
UID_MIN                  1000
UID_MAX                 60000
# System accounts
SYS_UID_MIN               500
SYS_UID_MAX               999
</snip>

might actually help, depending on how well it is enforced. Thanks!

Cheerio,
hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-21344