[arch-general] PXE - what goes in /srv/tftp if iso mounted loop on /mnt/archiso?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Oct 1 20:08:03 UTC 2016

All,

  I've played with setting up a PXE boot server, using dhcpd, apache and tftp.
(all on the same box) I've been through the archwiki PXE and Diskless_system
wiki pages (as well as a dozen other howtos) and I'm still confused about
whether I need to copy parts of the iso to /srv/tftp or whether I can just point
to the pxelinux.0 on the iso mounted at /mnt/archiso? E.g. the file now at

  /mnt/archiso/arch/boot/syslinux/lpxelinux.0

  Can I just symlink, e.g.

# ln -s /mnt/archiso/arch/boot/syslinux/lpxelinux.0 /srv/tftp/pxelinux.0

  Or is there a reason I need to copy files to /srv/tftp and create
/srv/tftp/pxelinux.cfg along with the various options? I would like it to be
able to boot EFI and legacy (both i686 and x86_64), which is currently handled
by the setup on the iso.

  Which brings me to the final question about the "filename" to pass in
dhcpd.conf. The arch PXE wiki shows:

    if option architecture = 00:07 {
        filename "/grub/x86_64-efi/core.efi";
    } else {
        filename "/grub/i386-pc/core.0";
    }

which appears to be for a setup with the files copied under /srv/tftp/grub...
The current iso does not use that. Would I instead pass for example:

  /EFI/boot/bootx64.efi

and then for legacy boot one of the vmlinuz specified by another option in
dhcpd.conf, or would simply passing a single filename of pxelinux.0 select the
right config under /mnt/archiso?

  All of the examples/tutorials, seem to do it differently from each other. Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.