[arch-general] howto change change yen character to backslash using xkb

niya levi niyalevi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 01:38:26 UTC 2016

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 17:19:50 +0900
> From: Jiachen Yang <farseerfc at gmail.com>
> To: General Discussion about Arch Linux <arch-general at archlinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [arch-general] howto change change yen character to
> 	backslash using xkb
>
> Hi Shadrock
>
> >From my understanding the backslash character can be rendered as Yen mark
> in several Japanese fonts.
> This is due to compatibility reason for Japanese vendors stole the
> backslash codepoint to reuse as Yen mark in their early font design.
> For example I can reproduce this using "MS Gothic" font in lxterminal.
> You can comfirms this by copying the Yen mark outof lxterminal into
> thunderbird/openoffice,
> to see whether it still rendered as Yen mark.
>
> If this is the case, your keyboard setting doesn't need change.
> Just change your font to a non-Japanese font (and be careful with
> fontconfig fallbacks).

> arch-general at archlinux.org>:
>
>> hi everyone
>>
>> i have installed arch with lxde ,
>>
>> the keyboard is setup all the keys are setup except one the backslash key,
>>
>> in thunderbird and openoffice a backslash char is displayed
>>
>> but in the lxterminal and geany(ide editor) it displayes as a yen char,
>>
>> i added Option "XKbOptions" "yen:backslash"
>>
>> to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
>>
>> but no change,
>>
>> is the line i added to 00-keyboard.conf incorrect ?
>>
>> i understand that the console is not affected by xorg so i'm also
>> looking for a solution there as well.
>>
>> shadrock
>>
>> thanks
>>
> -- ---------------------------------------------- ????????????? ? ??
> (YANG Jiachen) ?560-0043???????1-7 E-mail? yang at osipp.osaka-u.ac.jp
> TEL?080-3853-2770 -----------------------------------------------
> ------------------------------ Message: 2 Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016
> 17:39:32 +0900 From: Dragon ?floppy1? ryu <knight.ryu12 at gmail.com> To:
> General Discussion about Arch Linux <arch-general at archlinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [arch-general] howto change change yen character to
> backslash using xkb Message-ID:
> <A4C0ECCD-33CD-490F-A20F-E9EC85354DAC at gmail.com> Content-Type:
> text/plain; charset=iso-2022-jp 2016/10/11 17:19?Jiachen Yang via
> arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> ??????:
>> Hi Shadrock
>>
>> From my understanding the backslash character can be rendered as Yen mark
>> in several Japanese fonts.
>> This is due to compatibility reason for Japanese vendors stole the
>> backslash codepoint to reuse as Yen mark in their early font design.
>> For example I can reproduce this using "MS Gothic" font in lxterminal.
>> You can comfirms this by copying the Yen mark outof lxterminal into
>> thunderbird/openoffice,
>> to see whether it still rendered as Yen mark.
>>
>> If this is the case, your keyboard setting doesn't need change.
> [...]
hi
the notebook is a samsung np n140 with the keyboard set to uk,
i changed the font configuration and encoding in geany and got it to
display the correct character
for the console i added FONT=Lat2-Terminus16 to vconsole.conf,
lxterminal now displays the backslash correctly and all the characters
look good.
thanks
shadrock