[arch-general] i3wm (randomly?) freezes; SIGCONT seems to fix it

Guillaume ALAUX guillaume at archlinux.org
Tue Sep 13 13:10:36 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 9:13 PM, Bennett Piater <bennett at piater.name> wrote:
> Oh, that looks promising. I'll read through those issues tomorrow.
> Thank you! :)
>
> Cheers,
> Bennett
>
> On 09/11/2016 09:08 PM, Martin Kühne via arch-general wrote:
>> Oh, this stuff might all be related to the issue: [0], [1], [2]
>>
>> cheers!
>> mar77i
>>
>> [0] https://faq.i3wm.org/question/4631/dont-sigstop-when-in-hide-mode/here.html
>> [1] https://github.com/ultrabug/py3status/issues/253
>> [2] https://github.com/i3/i3/issues/2280
>>

> --
> GPG fingerprint: 871F 1047 7DB3 DDED 5FC4 47B2 26C7 E577 EF96 7808

New freeze happened to me yesterday. Before the computer got
completely frozen, I managed to have a look at `htop`, `vmsize` and
`free`. All my 8Go of RAM were full. 84Go of shared memory were showed
as used by `/usr/lib/chromium/nacl_helper`. This looks like a known
issue with Chromium [0]. I did what seems to be generally advised: use
a fresh ~/.config/chromium directory.

If this fixes it for me, this would imply I have a different issue
from OP, I would then not follow on this thread. Otherwise I will have
to dig these i3 links and let you know.

Thanks for the i3 issue links :)

[0] https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/498br6/help_why_is_nacl_helper_84g_large_also_overnight/

Guillaume