[arch-general] manually configure network

Rich rich-mail at octoxol.com
Thu Jul 13 03:14:07 UTC 2017

On 07/12/2017 09:58 PM, mick howe via arch-general wrote:
> On 13 July 2017 at 01:17, Mrrob <rob at mrrob.info> wrote:
>
>> On 13/07/17 07:09, mick howe via arch-general wrote:
>>
>>> I've just changed ISP and I can't get the changed configuration to stick.
>>>
>>> I'm using 'static IP address - manual assignment' from Network
>>> configuration wiki page.
>>>
>>> I need to change my address from 192.168.1.0/24 to 192.168.20.1/24.
>>>
>>> using iproute2 tools as per wiki I can get everything working UNTIL I
>>> reboot, at which time some of the settings show the old values and others
>>> the new.
>>>
>>> I've been manually configuring these settings without problems since I
>>> started using linux in 1994.
>>>

>> I assume that (as well as changing ISPs) you have changed your router and
>> it has a different internal range to the old one.
>>

> ​Correct​
>

>> If you have an IP address automatically after booting then something is
>> bringing up the network automatically. Assuming your Arch install is newer
>> than 2013 then I would expect you've configured netctl to manage the
>> interface.
>>

> ​About april 2013​
> ​, can't remember details of what I did then but I would have used what was
> most like the ​the original method.
>

>> Look in /etc/netctl
>>
> [mick at cave ~]$ ls -aR /etc/netctl
> /etc/netctl:
> .  ..  examples  hooks  interfaces
>
> /etc/netctl/examples:
> .                ethernet-static  tunnel         wireless-wpa
> ..               macvlan-dhcp    tuntap        wireless-wpa-config
> ​​
> bonding          macvlan-static   vlan-dhcp      wireless-wpa-configsection
> bridge           mobile_ppp       vlan-static    wireless-wpa-static
> ethernet-custom  openvswitch      wireless-open
> ethernet-dhcp    pppoe            wireless-wep
>
> /etc/netctl/hooks:
> .  ..
>
> /etc/netctl/interfaces:
> .  ..
>

>> and
>>
>> $ systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled
>>
>> ---
>> mrrob
>> ---

You are probably using dhcpcd. This is what is installed when initially
setting up the OS. Depending on exactly what settings are being reverted
to default it may be normal behavior. What you need to do is find out
exactly which network manager you are using and exactly what settings
are not sticking across a reboot. The fix is probably not difficult but
need more info to be able to make intelligent suggestions. I had a
problem with dhcpcd reverting my DNS servers to the ISP defaults on
every restart.

--Rich