[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] AUR ToS (aka making AUR user names public)

YANG Ling yangling1984 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 06:18:14 UTC 2017

Eli Schwartz via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> writes:

> On 03/06/2017 10:08 PM, YANG Ling via arch-general wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Shall we focus on Lukas's questions?
>
> Yes, let's.
>
> [skipped - pointlessly quoted and then repeated questions]

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the rules here. I thought it is necessary
to keep all original text.

>> 2. The second question: Would it make sense to even make this data
>>    publicly available?
>>    No, it is not OK. Please check this wiki [1]. Login name or nickname
>>    is Personally identifiable information (PII).
>
> Okay... firstly, thanks for the strange Wikipedia proxy....
Oops, I forgot to paste the original wiki link. Wikiwand is a tool which
can beautify Wikipedia page. If that bothers you, here is the original
link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personally_identifiable_information

> tl;dr
> Let us emulate the forums, and provide a username list only accessible
> to logged-in AUR users.

Actually I am not *strongly* against it. I just feel it is not necessary
to do it.
Here is my logic:
If one thing can make Archlinux better, then we do it.
If one thing can make Archlinux worse, then we don't do it.
If we cannot tell one thing make Archlinux better or worse, then it
is not necessary to do it.

In this case, what does Archlinux or its community gain from sharing
usernames with researchers? I cannot see merits.

Well, I am not Archlinux expert, nor Trust User. Maybe you can see
merits which are not obvious to me.
If most Trust Users feel it is OK to share usernames, I am fine with it.

Don't get me wrong. I just simply hope Archlinux become better and better.

--
Allen Yang